Quick Exit

Support and wellbeing


Our support

If you decide to use our support service, you will have a dedicated support worker while you’re engaging with the Truth Project. Because we are an Inquiry, we can’t offer therapy or long term support but your support worker can put you in touch with local services that you might find helpful. We have a list national organisations in the section below called ‘other support services that can help’.

There are several ways you can share your experiences with the Truth Project. We offer support for each option.

Support before sharing your experience

If you choose to use the support service for a private session then your support worker will get in touch with you by phone, around four weeks before the session. The support worker is there to answer any questions you may have about sharing your experiences with us. They will help you think about your wellbeing throughout the whole process. They will create a support plan with you that includes any risks, needs and preferences around your sharing with us in the private session. If you are sharing with us in writing, the support worker will also be able to contact you before you write about your experiences to help you prepare.

Support on the day

Sharing your experience in person or via telephone

If you are sharing your experience in person, your support worker will be the first person you meet when you arrive. They will check in with you about your support plan and will then introduce you to the facilitators of your private session. If you are Deaf, we can offer you Truth Project information, support and a session facilitated by a Deaf team who will communicate in your chosen method, including British Sign Language (BSL) and lip speak. We will also provide further interpretation where it is required. The support worker can go with you into the session if you want, but this is entirely up to you. Immediately after the session your support worker will be available so you can reflect on the session and arrange a further support call in around two days.

If you choose not to use our support service, the support worker will greet you on the day of your session and they can offer support if you change your mind.

If you’re sharing via telephone, the support worker will still be the first person you talk to unless you don’t want support. They will offer these same conversations on the phone, before and after your session.

Sharing your experience in writing

If you decide to share your experience in writing, an appointment with the Inquiry isn’t necessary.  You decide when and how you want to write down what happened to you. You will still be able to access a support worker who can offer both emotional and practical support ahead of you sharing your experience with us. The support worker will work with you to find a suitable time for your support to take place. Just as with private sessions, part of the support will include creating your own support plan so you have everything you need to enable you to begin writing.

Support after sharing your experience

Your support worker will call you around two days after the private session, or, if you’re sharing in writing, two days after we’ve received your written account. If you are Deaf, a specialist team can provide support in your chosen method of communication. This support session is an opportunity to reflect on how you are feeling two days on and we can revisit your support plan with you. People often tell us that this follow-up call is helpful and worthwhile.

During this support call you will be offered a final telephone call two weeks later. Not everyone takes this up but we encourage people to do so.  People have told us that sometimes it isn’t until a few days after the session that they have a sense of being able to reflect on how it went and how they feel about it. Some people have told us that they had a mixture of thoughts and feelings about the session and that having the opportunity to talk things through with the support worker was useful.

This final call will bring your support to a close.  As a public inquiry, The Truth Project is not able to make referrals or provide therapy, but there are other organisations that may be able to help and we can help you find out more about them.

Your wellbeing

For some ideas on how you can look after yourself, please download the booklet Your Wellbeing.

Other support services that can help

You will be offered support while you take part in the Truth Project but this is limited (see What’s Involved for more detail). If you would like to arrange additional support, there are a number of national organisations that provide specialist support and advice to victims and survivors of child sexual abuse. Some of these are listed here.

National Association for People Abused in Childhood

The National Association for People Abused in Childhood (NAPAC) is a national charity offering support to adult survivors of all types of childhood abuse, including physical, sexual and emotional abuse and neglect.

NAPAC helpline: 0808 801 0331

Rape Crisis

Rape Crisis England and Wales is a national charity and the umbrella body for all Rape Crisis Centres. You can find your nearest Rape Crisis Centre and how to get help if you’ve experienced rape, child abuse and/ or any other kind of sexual violence from the email address below. You can also find information on advocacy and Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA) services, counselling and therapeutic services as well as helplines and emotional support.

National Rape and Sexual Abuse Helpline number 0808 802 9999 (12pm - 2.30pm and 7pm - 9.30pm).


Mind - a national mental health charity providing advice and support to anyone with a mental health problem. 

InfoLine: 0300 123 3393


SurvivorsUK is the longest established service providing support to adult males who have experienced any form of sexual violence.  They provide a national web-chat and text-chat support service available seven days per week and counselling (individual and group) from their London premises.  They also host a male victim focused independent sexual violence adviser (ISVA). 

Contact SurvivorsUK: 02035983898; info@survivorsuk.orgwww.survivorsuk.org


Samaritans is available round the clock, every day of the year. Talk to us any time you like in your own way, about whatever’s getting to you.

Call Samaritans anytime on: 116 123

Or email: jo@samaritans.org

The Survivors Trust

The Survivors Trust is a national umbrella agency for specialist rape and sexual abuse support organisations for women, men, young people and children.  Contact details for local support organisations:www.thesurvivorstrust.org/find-support 

National Support Line offering advice, information and support freephone: 0808 801 0818; contact details for local support organisations: www.thesurvivorstrust.org/find-support

You may find these websites helpful if you want advice on other matters:

NHS Choices

NHS Choices is the online gateway to the National Health Service in England, providing health and lifestyle advice, along with information about local services and the latest health news.

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice is a network of 316 independent charities throughout the United Kingdom that give free, confidential information and advice to assist people with money, legal, consumer and other problems

What to do if you are in crisis

If you don’t feel you can keep yourself safe and are having thoughts of suicide which you think you may act on, please consider the below options:

  • Go to any hospital A&E department or ask for an emergency appointment with your GP

  • Call 999, ask for an ambulance if you can’t get to A&E or ask someone else to call for you

  • If you need some support but don’t want to go to A&E, then call Samaritans 24/7 (Freephone 116 123) or NHS 111 (England - dial 111) or NHS Direct (Wales - dial 111).


Privacy and confidentiality


How is my privacy handled?

The Inquiry will keep your information confidential at all times and we have a legal ruling in force (called a Restriction Order) to enable us to do this. The only exceptions to this would be if the Inquiry needs to pass any information on to the police or relevant authorities, or where otherwise required by law, because we must pass on all allegations of child abuse to the police.  We will inform you if we need to do so.

Why would police be involved?

We will pass on your contact details to the police if you agree for us to do so. However, we will pass on your details without your agreement to the police or other relevant authorities if we believe there is a child protection concern or someone is at risk of serious harm.

Who can ask to see my information?

The Inquiry might receive a request to disclose the information we hold if you are involved in criminal proceedings relating to what you share with us. For example, information might be requested by either the prosecution or defence teams where an individual is being prosecuted for child sexual abuse. We will only pass this information on if we are ordered by a court to do so.

Your privacy

There are very limited circumstances where we tell anyone your name without your consent, for example if a child is currently at risk and we need to tell the police.